Stibbe advises its clients in Greater China and the wider Asia-Pacific region on their outbound investments into Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, as well as on the use of Dutch and Luxembourgish holding and financing vehicles for the structuring of investments into Europe and beyond.
Stibbe is one of the few firms in the Benelux that has been providing the above services for many years. Our on-the-ground presence in Hong Kong from 2012 until 2018 has provided us with a genuine China understanding and the necessary industry know-how and top-notch legal experience. We understand the business culture and can advise you on potential risks and how best to overcome them.
We advise our Chinese clients on their outbound investments, transaction structuring, Belt and Road Initiative projects, on navigating the European regulatory landscape and, more generally, on all aspects of Belgian, Dutch, Luxembourgish and European law.
Our China desk is led by Corporate and M&A partner Jan Bogaert, based at Stibbe’s Brussels office, who lived and worked in China for many years and who has represented numerous Chinese clients on their investments in Belgium and in Europe.
Over the years, Stibbe has established a broad Chinese client base, including SOEs, A-share and H-share listed companies, private equity funds, and privately owned enterprises.
Some of our success stories with Chinese clients include advising:
- Tencent on its share swap with Spofity
- ChemChina on its USD 43bn acquisition of Syngenta
- Didi Chuxing on its investments in Taxify and 99taxis
- the shareholders of Punch Powertrain on the acquisition by YinYi Group
- GSR ventures on the CFIUS-aborted acquisition of Philips Lumileds
- HNA on the acquisition of Swissport
- Henan Civil Aviation on the acquisition of a 35% stake in Luxembourg freight airline Cargolux and the related commercial cooperation
- PRC private equity fund EverYi Capital on its investment into the Chinese operations of Belgian premium chocolate brand Pierre Marcolini
- Trendy (China) Fashion on its joint venture with Denham Group to operate and manage the distribution of the Denham brand in greater China
- Fosun group on various matters
- Sino-Europe on the acquisition of AC Milan
- ZTE on its joint venture with Ingenico group
- Outbound Investments
- Transaction structuring
- One Belt One Road Projects
- Investment management
- Banking and finance
- Antitrust and regulatory
- Real estate