Short Reads

Correction for fairness applies in full in case of redress by insurers

Correction for fairness applies in full in case of redress by insurers

Correction for fairness applies in full in case of redress by insurers

08.10.2015 NL law

On 10 July 2015, the Dutch Supreme Court ruled that in cases of recourse (regres) by insurers, the correction for fairness (billijkheidscorrectie) applies in exactly the same way as it does for the insured party (Achmea/Menzis). Insurers can thus benefit from ‘subjective circumstances’ particular to the insured party. As a result of this judgment, the Dutch Supreme Court has put a stop to a long-lasting discussion amongst Dutch legal scholars on this issue.

Background

Under Dutch law, a debtor’s obligation to pay damages is decreased by the extent that part of the blame for the damages can be apportioned to the creditor. This does not apply if – in fairness –  the majority of the blame can be attributed to one of the parties or other circumstances involved lead to a different outcome. This is referred to as the correction for fairness.

In 1997, the Dutch Supreme Court ruled that this correction for fairness, in principle, also applies when insurers have a claim on the basis of recourse (Terminus/ZAO). That judgment led to a discussion between Dutch scholars on the scope of such applicability. Some argued that only ‘objective circumstances’ should be taken into account when applying the correction for fairness in cases of recourse by an insurer. Objective circumstances are those circumstances that are equal to all parties.  In their view, subjective circumstances, in other words those that are particular to the victim, should not be allowed to play a part in such cases. Other scholars argued that there is no difference between the circumstances, or that both should be taken into account equally in cases of recourse by insurers.

Case

In this case, an insurer claimed for damages caused to its insured party in an accident between motorized vehicles. In short, a bus driver applied its brakes and a motorbike crashed into the back of the bus. As a result of the accident, the young driver of the motorbike will be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.  The motorbike driver’s insurer paid for all damages and filed a claim for such damages against the bus company’s insurer.

The Court of Appeal had previously ruled that the bus driver was to blame for 40% of the damages and the driver of the motorbike was responsible for the remaining 60%. It then applied a 25% correction for fairness taking into account subjective circumstances on the motorbike driver’s side, including the severity of his injuries and his young age. The bus company’s insurer thus had to pay for 65% of the damages, whilst the motorbike driver’s insurer had to account for the remaining 35%.

Before the Supreme Court, the bus company’s insurer argued that the Court of Appeal had made a mistake by taking into account such subjective circumstances because there is no legal basis for recourse in pitifulness (regres in zieligheid) . It also pointed out that insurers do not include subjective circumstances in their mathematical models used to calculate overall costs and insurance premiums. It argued that if subjective circumstances were to be included in these models, insurance premiums would rise significantly.

Contrary to the view expressed in this case by the advocate general, Mr Spier, the Supreme Court ruled that, in principle, the correction for fairness applies in exactly the same way to insurers after recourse as it applies between the insured parties. It specifically confirmed that this also includes subjective circumstances. The fact that insurers do not take these subjective circumstances into account when they calculate costs and insurance premiums, does not change that principle.

In practice, this judgment implies that insurers will have to assess whether their mathematical models used to calculate costs and insurance premiums include such subjective circumstances. If those circumstances are not included, the models may need to be adjusted accordingly. This could potentially lead to an increase in insurance premiums.

The post Correction for fairness applies in full in case of redress by insurers is a post of Stibbeblog.nl

Team

Related news

04.06.2019 NL law
Dutch Supreme Court clarifies evidentiary rules concerning signatures and signed documents

Short Reads - In two recent decisions, the Dutch Supreme Court has clarified the evidentiary power of signed documents. If the signatory unambiguously denies that the signature on the document is his or hers or claims that another party has tampered with the signature (for instance, through forgery or copying a signature from one document and pasting it in another), it is up to the party invoking the signed document to prove the signature's authenticity (ECLI:NL:HR:2019:572).

Read more

24.05.2019 NL law
European regulatory initiatives for online platforms and search engines

Short Reads - As part of the digital economy, the rise of online platforms and search engines raises all kinds of legal questions. For example, do bicycle couriers qualify as employees who are entitled to ordinary labour law protections? Or should they be considered self-employed (see our Stibbe website on this issue)? The rise of online platforms also triggers more general legal questions on the relationship between online platforms and their users. Importantly, the European Union is becoming increasingly active in this field.

Read more

03.06.2019 NL law
Toerekening van kennis van groepsvennootschappen

Articles - In de praktijk doet zich vaak de vraag voor of kennis die aanwezig is binnen de ene vennootschap kan worden toegerekend aan een andere vennootschap binnen hetzelfde concern. In dit artikel verkent Branda Katan zowel de dogmatische grondslag als de praktische toepassing van een dergelijke toerekening. Zij concludeert dat het ‘Babbel-criterium’ (heeft in de gegeven omstandigheden de kennis X in het maatschappelijk verkeer te gelden als kennis van Y?) geschikt is voor het toerekenen van kennis in concernverband.

Read more

01.05.2019 NL law
Arbitral award obligating Ecuador to prevent enforcement of USD 8.6 billion order does not violate public order

Short Reads - Due to environmental damage as a result of oil extraction in the Ecuadorian Amazon, oil company Chevron was ordered to pay USD 8.6 billion to Ecuadorian citizens. In order to claim release of liability, Chevron and Texaco initiated arbitration proceedings against Ecuador. Arbitral awards ordered Ecuador to prevent enforcement of the Ecuadorian judgment, leaving the Ecuadorian plaintiffs temporarily unable to enforce their judgment. According to the Supreme Court (12 April 2019, ECLI:NL:HR:2019:565), these arbitral awards did however not violate public order.

Read more

28.05.2019 NL law
Dutch court: insufficient substantiation? No follow-on cartel damages action

Short Reads - Dutch courts are forcing claimants (including claims vehicles) to be well-prepared before initiating follow-on actions. The Amsterdam District Court in the Dutch trucks cartel follow-on proceedings recently ruled that claimants – specifically CDC, STCC, Chapelton, K&D c.s. and STEF c.s. – had insufficiently substantiated their claims. These claimants now have until 18 September 2019 to provide sufficient facts regarding transactions that – according to them – were affected by the cartel. Preparation should thus be key for cartel damages actions.

Read more

01.05.2019 NL law
Termination of an agreement: compelling grounds?

Short Reads - When does a reason given for termination of an agreement qualify as a compelling ground? That was the central question in the Dutch Supreme Court's decision of 29 March 2019 (ECLI:NL:HR:2019:446). Depending on the nature of the agreement and the circumstances of the case, termination may only take place under certain conditions, e.g. only on compelling grounds. 

Read more

Our website uses functional cookies for the functioning of the website and analytic cookies that enable us to generate aggregated visitor data. We also use other cookies, such as third party tracking cookies - please indicate whether you agree to the use of these other cookies:

Privacy – en cookieverklaring